Samsung is now selling the 5G 980 chip to Vivo, the Chinese giant. This means Samsung is now challenging Qualcomm for 5G chip orders rather than only supplying their own phones. The competition will continue to drive 5G phone prices down. By summer, expect $300 phones. By the end of 2020, 5G phones may be as low as $200.
It will be used in the Vivo 5G X30 phone, shipping in December. The rumored price is US$455. It supports both SA and NSA 5G cores, a requirement in China starting in 2020. Vivo hopes to sell 100 million phones in 2020.
Separately, Mediatek is now sampling the Dimensity 1000 5G chip.
Phones using the chip are expected from Huawei and others in March. With improved AI and image processing, Mediatek claims the chip is more advanced than Qualcomm's best. (PR below.)
TSMC and Samsung are the only facilities capable of manufacturing the 7 nm chips required for 5G. Both at running close to capacity and ordering more EUV machines from ASML. ASML in turn is making the $200+ million EUV units as rapidly as possible. Officially, Samsung and TSMC say they are ready for the exploding 5G demand in China of 150 million phones in 2020.
I'm less certain of the supply and wonder if limited chip capacity could hold back the expected 210 million 5G phones expected in 2020.
MediaTek Announces Dimensity, World’s Most Advanced 5G Chipset Family, & Dimensity 1000 5G SoC
MediaTek’s Dimensity 1000 5G integrated chip delivers unparalleled performance, ultra-fast speeds and seamless connectivity
Nov 26, 2019 - 2:00 PM
Taipei, Taiwan – November 26, 2019 – MediaTek today unveiled Dimensity, MediaTek’s family of powerful 5G system-on-chips (SoCs) offering an unrivaled combination of connectivity, multimedia, AI and imaging innovations for premium and flagship smartphones.
The MediaTek Dimensity 5G chipset family brings smart and fast together to power the world’s most capable 5G devices. Dimensity represents a step toward a new era of mobility – the fifth dimension – to spur industry innovation and let consumers unlock the possibilities of 5G connectivity.
Dimensity 1000 is MediaTek’s first 5G mobile SoC in its 5G family of chipsets. The single 5G chip solution, with its integrated 5G modem, is a brilliant combination of advanced technologies packed into a 7nm chip and tuned for 5G performance.
“Our Dimensity series is a culmination of MediaTek’s investment in 5G and positions us as a leader driving 5G development and innovation. Our 5G technology goes head-to-head with anyone in the industry,” said MediaTek President Joe Chen.
“We chose the name Dimensity to highlight how our 5G solutions are driving new waves of innovation and experiences, much like the fabled fifth dimension,” added Chen. “Our first announced chip, MediaTek Dimensity 1000, gives consumers a significantly faster, more intelligent and all-around incredible mobile experience.”
The first Dimensity powered devices will start hitting the market in Q1 of 2020.
The Dimensity series integrates MediaTek’s 5G modem in one compact design, delivering significant power savings compared to competing solutions.
The Dimensity 1000 5G SoC supports 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC CA) and boasts the world’s fastest throughput SoC with 4.7Gbps downlink and 2.5Gbps uplink speeds over sub-6GHz networks. The chipset is designed to support stand alone and non-stand alone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks, and includes multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G.
It also integrates the latest Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1+ standards for the fastest and most efficient local wireless connectivity, offering more than 1Gbps throughput in both downlink and uplink speeds
Dimensity 1000 is a performance powerhouse, pairing four Arm Cortex-A77 cores operating up to 2.6GHz with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2.0GHz. This design enables an optimal balance of high performance and power-efficiency. The chipset is also the world’s first to pack Arm Mali-G77 GPU to enable seamless streaming and gaming at 5G speeds.
MediaTek’s Dimensity 1000 also comes with a new MediaTek AI Processing Unit – APU 3.0 – with more than double the performance of the previous generation APU. It brings devices a significant performance boost at 4.5 TOPS.
Features and technology in the MediaTek Dimensity 1000 include:
- World’s First Dual 5G SIM: With the world’s first dual 5G SIM technology, in addition to support for services such as Voice over New Radio (VoNR), the 5G SoC delivers seamless connectivity across networks and offers consistent speeds.
- Most Power Efficient 5G Modem: The chipset’s integrated 5G modem delivers extreme energy efficiency and is a more power efficient design than competing solutions. This compact, integrated design also lets brands use the extra space for other features like a bigger battery or larger camera sensors.
- Seamless Handover: With 5G carrier aggregation, the chipset posts higher average speeds and performs a seamless handover between two connection areas (high speed layer and coverage layer) for seamless high speed connections when users are on the go.
- Unparalleled Imaging: With the world’s first five-core image signal processor (ISP) combined with MediaTek’s Imagiq+ technology, Dimensity 1000 provides a truly extraordinary camera and video experience. The chipset supports 80MP cameras sensors at 24 frames per second and a range of multi-camera options such as 32+16MP dual cameras.
- Powerful APU Camera & Video Support: The APU supports advanced AI-camera enhancements for autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (HDR) and facial detection, along with the world’s first multi-frame video HDR capability.
- Stunning Graphics and Video: The chipset delivers stunning graphics with support for Full HD+ displays up to 120Hz and 2K+ up to 90Hz. Dimensity 1000 is the first mobile SoC to support Google AV1 format up to 4K resolution at 60fps, elevating the video streaming experience to new levels.
“Dimensity 1000 brings the latest connectivity, multimedia, AI, imaging and gaming innovations, all tuned for 5G performance to consumers so they can expect incredible experiences with Dimensity powered 5G devices,” said Chen.
Dimensity 1000 is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks that are launching in Asia, North America and Europe. For more information and specifications visit the MediaTek Dimensity 5G solutions page.
About MediaTek Inc.
MediaTek Incorporated (TWSE: 2454) is a global fabless semiconductor company that enables 1.5 billion connected devices a year. We are a market leader in developing innovative systems-on-chip (SoC) for mobile device, home entertainment, connectivity and IoT products. Our dedication to innovation has positioned us as a driving market force in several key technology areas, including highly power-efficient mobile technologies and advanced multimedia solutions across a broad range of products such as smartphones, tablets, digital televisions, OTT boxes, wearables and automotive solutions. MediaTek empowers and inspires people to expand their horizons and more easily achieve their goals through smart technology. We call this idea Everyday Genius and it drives everything they do. Visit www.mediatek.com for more information.